The mill property was originally larger incorporating Mill House, Grainthorpe Mill, the Trap House and outbuildings. We are privileged to be the current owners and caretakers of the Trap House & Mill and feel very lucky to call it home. Mill House is owned by our neighbours but shares our entrance.
Our trap house (although we like to refer to it as our coach house!) dates back to circa 1847, was larger in footprint and featured a series of additional outhouses. The original function of these buildings was for agricultural purposes, such as housing of livestock and storing of corn and grain, operating with the adjacent windmill.
Our windmill dates back to circa early 19th century, and originally featured four roller reefing sails. In 1895 the windmill unfortunately lost the cap and sails in a tailwind. The top section of windmill was soon rebuilt, which added another storey to the windmill in the process, along with a fantail and four patent sails. The windmill ceased working during the early 1930’s and lost its sails and cap during a storm in 1934.
There were 2 ranges of outbuilding attached to the trap house, one projecting out from the eastern end at right angles and another parallel to the boundary with Mill Lane extending westwards. The eastern outbuilding remained for a number of years after the mill ceased working, as evidenced by a photograph from 1969, although it had gone by the time new windows were fitted to the mill in 1978.
The group of outbuildings to the western end of the trap house were still in-situ around 1910 but following the closure of the mill they would have become largely redundant. The red brick stable block that remains at the western end of the trap house replaced the earlier timber structure and was probably added in the late 1930’s.
The mill was owned by the Borman family from 1842 until it ceased working around 1930. There is an entry in the 1876 Kelly’s Directory for John George Borman, miller & baker. There are also entries for Joseph & William Borman, carpenters and Simon Borman, brewer. It is likely that these were family members and may have even shared the same premises, given the range of outbuildings. By the time the 1906 Kelly’s Directory was published there was only a single entry for John George Borman, miller (wind and steam).
After consulting local sources (Louth Library, Lincoln County Archives) there is very little information relating to the early life of the mill. It was possibly built by the renowned mill-wright John Sanderson of Louth and there are carpenter’s marks on a timber in the mill with the intials J H S, dated 1870. This was possibly when the mill was rebuilt and the additional floor added.
It is also worth noting that there are retaining plates fixed to the exterior of the trap house dated 1847. There is another date marked on the timber below which is slightly illegible but could again be 1847.
All information on this page provided by R J Design Architecture as part of a historical report for our buildings.
All images on this page are copyrighted and cannot be reproduced or copied without the express permission of Lincs to the Past.